If I haven’t introduced you already, I work with an Ayurvedic Practitioner based in NYC named Ananta Ripa Ajmera. Amongst her many titles, and accolades she is Ayurvedic Director at the Well in Manhattan, a beautiful spot for integrated health and wellness.
This recipe is from her book The Ayurvedic Way. It’s super easy, great for the digestive system, and nourishing for the soul.
Sweet Sooji Cereal
- ½ cup coarse semolina or all-purpose wheat flour
- 2 cups organic whole milk (can also combine 1 cup milk with 1 cup water, alternative milks can be used as well )
- 2 teaspoons green cardamom powder
- 4–6 threads of saffron (optional)
- 4–6 teaspoons organic coconut or cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons raisins (optional)
- 2 tablespoons almonds or walnuts, chopped finely (optional)
- Place the semolina in a small skillet over medium heat. Dry-roast until it’s a light brown color, about 2 minutes, then set aside.
- Combine the milk, cardamom, and saffron, if using, in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Turn the heat to low and slowly add the semolina while continuously stirring to avoid creating lumps.
- Add the sugar, raisins and nuts, if using. Slowly stir for 2 to 3 minutes.